in reverse order

since this is a blog, you have to go to the very bottom and read them in reverse order. eventually, there will be pages across the top where you can read chunks of information in a logical order. this is all free posting, so, maybe that is why it has to appear in reverse order.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Spooky Experiments

Mr. Legend left a comment about his nib skipping. I brainstormed a few possible solutions. Then I tried some random swoopy motions. If you have never tried writing with a nib, try some wavy lines. I made some rows of letters that are a common exercise in Spencerian. At some point, I might talk about Spencerian, but for now, let's stick with the first exemplar that I posted. The first line of actual words is from the exemplar.

Then I tried to make some quirky, spooky writing by making everything less uniform. The third line is scrunched - then angular - then slanted. The writing explains the thought process.

Then I Googled *spooky lettering* and some fun Halloween cards popped up. I redrew the three figures, making them significantly different than the original. I can't really decide which one I like best.

Hopefully, if you have your nibs and ink, you can try some quirky writing and let me know how it goes.

I will wait to hear from the people who expressed an interest in trying nibs and ink, to see if they have their materials. I also need to know if anyone bought a book. Which book you are using will determine what kinds of comments I make.

If you just want to use the exemplar that I recommended (rather than any of the books), please let me know.



2 comments:

  1. I have the top two books and just received Eleanor Winters book today (have only flipped thru it so far.). In my experimenting I have been using a straight pointed pen and my habit is to hold it more upright, along the side of the large knuckle at the base of the index finger. Per your suggestion of laying it more in the fold of the thumb and index finger has certainly helped. I do use the Rodia lined tablets.
    Thank you. I have told all of my grandchildren that while at the library I saw a book that was titled "How to Learn to Do Really Amazing Things" and when I opened it up there was only one page in the book, and it said PRACTICE!
    Thanks again.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, I have been enjoying all your posts on this blog so much! Thank you, thank you! I am (as you said in your Oct. 2 post), "somewhere in between, still juggling work+play+responsibilities" so I have not been practicing as much as I like, but when I do sit down to practice I have so much fun I forget to make dinner :)

    I have Modern Calligraphy (I'm a little unimpressed, but I love her sample pages) and Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy.

    Thanks again for this blog and all the great info you have been sharing!

    ReplyDelete