in reverse order

since this is a blog, you have to go to the very bottom and read them in reverse order. eventually, there will be pages across the top where you can read chunks of information in a logical order. this is all free posting, so, maybe that is why it has to appear in reverse order.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Links to Everyone Else

Anyone who knows me or *reads* me knows that I am a big fan of one cup of coffee and an hour of surfing every morning. Then one cup of coffee and an hour of surfing at noon. The rest of the day is spent on my penmanship and a few other chores.

During my surfing, I run across many other people who are infatuated with penmanship. Yesterday I found Emily Schuman who has this blog:

http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/diy/faux-calligraphy#feed=/tag/paper-goods

I will be posting every example of fun quirky lettering that I find so that you may benefit from comparing all the different techniques. Hopefully, you will not get lost looking at all the other fun things that Emily has on her blog. She is young and stylish and for now, she has time to dabble in design in every aspect her life. She has a husband and two dogs. Over the years, I have seen several blogs run by young enthusiastic designers who eventually have a baby and then the blog phases out. A few of the young mommies manage to keep their blogs going. If you are young and trying to learn how to write with nibs and ink, good for you, this is an energetic time of life and you will do well, if you can squeeze in some time to practice. If you are old and have lots of spare time, congratulations, you have found a perfect activity to master. And if you are somewhere in between, still juggling work+play+responsibilities...penmanship is easy to do in bits and pieces and you will enjoy what a flexible activity it is.

I will label all the links to other people who have tips and lessons on penmanship and calligraphy - OTHER SCRIBES.  It is unusual to lump all the scribes together. Some of them are supreme masters, others are crafty DIYourselfers with no training whatsoever. Why am I lumping everyone together? Because they do have one thing in common. They are all writing words. It is too complicated to create categories. I'm lazy. I'd rather focus on YOU finding your own style and enjoying the variety.

Emily's style is not a nibs-and-ink style. So, if you have not purchased your nibs and ink, you can still practice making lettering that looks like it was done with nibs and ink. Understanding that the thicks are made on the down stroke and the upstrokes are thin is an essential part of the process. Is there anyone who does not understand thick-down and thin-up?

1 comment:

  1. I am about a year in to my calligraphy journey. I also enjoy both ends of the spectrum. Traditional copperplate and spencerian while amazing, take so much time and practice to master. Whenever I am hit with a bout of frustration and impatience I do some modern pointed pen. I know it's not the preferred method of practice but the change does my ego Google.

    Thank you! I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete